Everybody loves a good drink; unfortunately, some of the best-tasting beverages out there are filled with an unhealthy amount of sugar. Luckily, there are healthier options in the market that can take away some of the guilt of drinking your favorite cocktails and mocktails.
If you're looking for a way to make water more enjoyable or make your favorite drinks healthier, sugar-free syrup might be the best fit for you.
Sugar-free syrup is a type of syrup that, instead of sugar, contains artificial sweeteners such as sucralose or aspartame. Sugar-free syrup is available in various flavors, including chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla. You can use it to top pancakes, waffles, and ice cream or to sweeten coffee and tea.
While sugar-free syrup does not have the same calories as regular syrup, it is important to remember that it still contains calories from artificial sweeteners. For this reason, it shouldn’t be consumed in large quantities. Still, the best sugar-free simple syrups often have zero calories and can be helpful to people with diabetes and those watching their weight.
Differences in Simple Syrups
If you're a fan of sweetened coffee or tea, you're probably familiar with more than one type of syrup. While all syrups add sweetness to your drink, there are some important differences between them. You can produce simple syrup by dissolving sugar in water, creating the most basic type of syrup.
Wondering what natural flavoring is when it comes to simple syrups? Natural flavoring comes from real fruit or other natural flavors and often has a more intense flavor than simple syrup. On the other hand, sugar-free syrup uses artificial sweeteners instead of sugar and can be a good option if you're trying to cut back on sugar intake.
Benefits of Sugar-Free Syrup
Several factors make sugar-free syrup an attractive option:
- Low calories—This is probably the most significant benefit, as it's the main reason people use sugar substitutes. For example, a tablespoon of corn syrup has about sixty calories, while the same amount of aspartame has only four calories.
- No sugar—As the name suggests, sugar-free syrup does not have any sugar. Because of that, it's a good option for people trying to reduce their sugar intake and a good sugar-alternative for people with diabetes.
- Available in various flavors—Sugar-free syrup is available in a wide range of flavoring, including chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla. Using sugar-free syrup can help you enjoy your favorite flavored drinks without all the sugar.
- Easy to make at home—If you're looking to save money, you can easily make sugar-free syrup. All you need is a sugar substitute, water, and the flavor of your choice.
- Can be used in many different recipes—You can use sugar-free syrup in different recipes, both sweet and savory. For example, you can use it to sweeten coffee or tea, top pancakes or waffles, or add flavor to baked goods.
Sugar-free syrup shines in both sweet and savory recipes. It can be used as a condiment on foods or added to drinks like smoothies, cocktails, and milkshakes. You can also use it in treats like cakes and cookies–the best kind of sugar-free syrup depends on your needs and preferences!