Salted caramel sauce goes with a variety of different delicacies. Whoever imagined adding crispy flakes of salt to a rich, creamy caramel sauce deserves a round of applause because it is one of the most delicious inventions out there.
Salted caramel sauce is a traditionally French sauce made from a combination of caramelized sugar, cream, and salt. From these four basic ingredients come dozens of recipes with caramel sauce. Whether it’s a classic or sugar-free salted caramel sauce, the possibilities are endless.
Salted caramel sauce is sweet and complex with a slightly salty kick. It pairs great with sweet desserts and is also delicious on its own.
Some of the best combinations are salted caramel sauce with ice cream, cookies, and brownies. The richness and depth of the sauce are a perfect counter to the pure sweetness of desserts, inside and out. Caramel sauce can be added to a finished product or, with some recipes, mixed in before baking.
When you’re craving something sweet, nothing satisfies like salted caramel sauce. The sweet, salty, and caramel flavors are an absolute delight when drizzled over ice cream, pancakes, or even on their own!
Using Caramel Sauce on Baked Desserts
Here are some reasons to add salted caramel sauce on a variety of desserts:
- It adds a new level of flavor to skillet brownies
- It’s an important part of salted caramel turtle brownies
- It combines perfectly with natural flavors in apple pie or apple cinnamon bread
- Caramel flavor mixes deliciously with pumpkin cake, pumpkin crumb cake muffins, or pumpkin cheesecake
- It’s delicious drizzled on banana cupcakes
- It can top a chai cinnamon swirl bundt cake
- You can apply it to a pound cake or chocolate cake
- It can replace frosting in cinnamon rolls
- It’s a key ingredient in Snickers cheesecake bars
Using Caramel Sauce on Other Snacks
- You can mix it into butterscotch or dark chocolate pudding
- You can drizzle it on ice cream
- You can use it as a dip for apple slices
- It can be mixed into yogurt
- You can shake some with a fresh batch of popcorn
- It’s a tasty dip for pretzels
- You can use it instead of syrup on pancakes and waffles
What to Do With Leftovers
Keeping unused salted caramel sauce is easy–just keep it covered and you can leave it in the refrigerator for up to a month. When you’re ready to use it again, heat it gradually by immersing the jar in hot water or by allowing it to soften to room temperature.
Salted caramel sauce is a flavorful and sweet condiment that is great for adding complexity to desserts. It works as a dip for all kinds of foods or as a topping to amplify treats you already love. Of course, if you want that delicious caramel flavor without the calories, you can always opt for Skinny Mixes’ Sugar-Free Salted Caramel Sauce!