If you’re very active and tend to sweat a lot, you know it's essential to drink enough water. Unfortunately, it can be hard to fit in all the water your body needs. Luckily, this article will give you some tips for drinking more water, discuss the many benefits of drinking water, and explain how to make drinking water easier for you.
Water is essential for life and vital for good health. Every system in our body needs water to function correctly, and when we don't get enough, it can take a toll. This is why it's essential to make sure we drink plenty of fluids every day.
But what counts as fluid? Other beverages can hydrate you, but there’s no replacement for water. A zero-calorie simple syrup is a great way to flavor your water without adding calories or sugar. You can also use syrups in coffee, tea, or cocktails. So, next time you're looking for a way to jazz up your water, reach for a bottle of simple syrup.
How Much Water Do We Need Every Day?
The water we need depends on a few factors, including age, activity level, and the climate where we live. The Institute of Medicine recommends that men drink about three liters (about thirteen cups) of fluids each day and women drink 2.2 liters (about nine cups). These are just averages; however, you might need more or less depending on your individual needs.
Tips for Drinking More Water
It can be hard to make time for something that seems like a chore, especially if you don't see the immediate benefits, which is why we've put together this list of tips for drinking more water to ensure you're getting enough, even on your busiest days.
- Set a daily goal–decide how much water you want to drink each day and make it your goal to reach that amount.
- Carry a water bottle with you–having water with you at all times will make it easier to drink more water throughout the day.
- Drink a glass of water first thing in the morning–start your day by drinking a glass of water as soon as you wake up.
- Drink water before and after meals–drinking water before and after each meal will help you stay hydrated and feel full.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks–choose water over sugary drinks like soda or juice.
- Add some flavor–if you don't like the taste of plain water, try adding a slice of lemon or lime. You can also check out our recent article on what natural flavoring is.
- Drink sparkling water–if you're looking for something with a little more flavor, try sparkling water.
- Set reminders–set reminders on your phone or in your calendar to help you remember to drink water throughout the day.
- Keep track of your progress–use a tracker app or mark off each time you have a glass of water to help you see how much you're drinking.
- Get others involved–ask your family and friends to join you in drinking more water. Having accountability partners will help you stay on track, especially when finding ways to drink more water, even if you don't like it.
Even if it's not always easy to drink all the water we need, drinking enough water is essential for good health, so drink up—your body will thank you!