The Shirley Temple is arguably the most famous mocktail. The name is derived from the child actress who, when she attended parties with other celebrities, couldn't drink because of her age. The story is that this drink was invented for her by attendees who wanted her to have a drink she could enjoy. Shirley Temples are now enjoyed by people of all age groups–once you know how to make a Shirley Temple, you quickly understand how versatile it is.
Basic Ingredients of a Shirley Temple
A Shirley Temple is mostly associated with being a drink for children. The three ingredients are grenadine, maraschino cherries, and lemon-lime soda or ginger ale. Whether you’re using on-the-go syrups or homemade infusions, you can change and adjust this mocktail however you prefer. It’s also easy to make this drink equally delicious and alcoholic.
How to Make a Dirty Shirley
- One-half ounce of grenadine
- One-quarter ounce of freshly squeezed lime juice
- Five ounces of chilled ginger ale
- Maraschino cherries to garnish
- One ounce of vodka
Once you have all the ingredients, you can make your dirty Shirley drink in a few easy steps:
- Add a few ice cubes to a Collins glass
- Add grenadine and lime juice
- Top with ginger ale and stir gently
- Add maraschino cherries to garnish
A Few Things to Note
- It’s recommended to use plain vodka, but you can also opt for a vodka that’s cherry flavored, like Smirnoff’s or Skyy’s cherry vodka variations.
- Also known as pomegranate syrup, grenadine is made by combining pomegranate and sugar.
- You can use whichever soda brand you prefer, and some people also prefer enhancing ginger ale with their favorite juice–particularly orange juice–to give a dirty Shirley a more punch-like flavor.
Different Cocktail Variations
Consider mixing and matching ingredients if you want to come up with a unique flavor. For example, you can replace regular soda with diet soda, or substitute grenadine with cherry juice or sugar-free cherry syrup.
There are many ways you can enjoy your favorite Shirley Temple drink. While many people prefer to enjoy it as it was traditionally made, the possibilities are only limited by your imagination when it comes to adding a kick of alcohol. So, the next time you visit your favorite party spot, consider asking for a Dirty Shirley Temple–or making them yourself the next time you host!