There's nothing quite like a refreshing margarita on a hot day–but what's in a margarita, and how do you make one with a mix? Today, we'll answer those questions and more. We'll also provide some tips for making the perfect margarita; so, whether you just want to know how many calories are in a margarita or what is in a margarita mix, this post is for you!
What You’ll Need
To make a margarita with a mix, you'll need the following ingredients:
- One shot of tequila
- ½ cup of margarita mix
- ½ shot of triple sec (optional for extra flavor)
- One ounce of orange juice (optional juice of your choice)
- Salt for the rim of the glass
- Agave nectar (optional for extra sweetness)
- One lime wedge
When mixing your margarita, be sure to experiment with different types of margarita mix and tequila to find your perfect combination. If you're looking for something a little sweeter, try adding a touch of agave nectar or simple syrup to your margarita. Regardless of the margarita flavor you are looking for, here are the basic steps of preparing a classic margarita:
Step one: Rim a glass with lime and salt
Step two: Add tequila, margarita mix, triple sec, and ice to a blender
Step three: Blend until smooth
Step four: Pour into your favorite glass
Step four: Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy!
Tips for Making the Perfect Margarita
A perfect Margarita is all about finding the right balance of sweet and sour. For some people, that means adding a little extra lime juice or orange juice, and others might prefer to add a touch of sweetness with agave nectar or simple syrup. Of course, don't forget the salt–rimming your glass with salt is essential for that classic margarita flavor. So, whatever your preference is, be sure to experiment until you find the best margarita mix and recipe that you prefer.
If you are just starting out, here are a few tips to help you get it just right:
- Use fresh lime juice for the best flavor.
- If your margarita is too tart, add a little bit of agave nectar or simple syrup.
- If you don't have a margarita mix, you can use a common sweet and sour mix instead.
- If your margarita is too sweet, add a little bit more lime juice.
- Be sure to taste as you go along so you can adjust the flavor to your liking.
- A little bit of salt goes a long way in bringing out the flavors of a margarita.
Variations on the Classic Margarita Recipe
Once you've mastered the classic margarita recipe, there are various other variations to try. Here are a few of our favorites:
- For a fruity twist, try adding your favorite fruit to the mix. Strawberry margaritas are always a hit!
- For an on-the-rocks margarita, simply add all of your ingredients to a shaker with some ice and shake until mixed, and then pour into your favorite glass.
- For something truly unique, try making a smoked margarita–rim your glass with smoked salt and add a drop or two of liquid smoke to the blender with the rest of your ingredients. Be careful, though–liquid smoke is strong stuff!
Margarita Serving Suggestions
Once you've mixed up your perfect margarita, it's time to enjoy it! With these serving style tips, you'll be sure to impress your guests. Here are a few of our favorite ways to serve this refreshing drink:
- Serve your margaritas in glasses rimmed with sugar for a sweet treat. You can get creative and add some chili powder or tajin, too.
- Try serving your margarita in a fun and festive glass.
- Garnish your margaritas with an exotic fruit slice for a pop of color.
- If you're feeling really fancy, try garnishing your margaritas with a whole skewer of fruit.
We hope you enjoy these fun ways of making your favorite margarita with a mix! And of course, always drink responsibly.