Whether you’ve just started the keto diet or if you’re still in the research phase, you need to make sure a ketogenic diet can keep up with your coffee habits, right?
If you’re following this low-carb/high-fat diet, you might be wondering which coffees are compatible, how you can take your coffee, how to jazz up your coffee (low-carb and sugar-free), and some coffee recipes to start your day off without guilt or cravings!
Here, we bring you a complete guide to keto coffee drinks – so you can still get your caffeine fix without ruining your diet!
What is keto?Before we start talking about keto coffee, let’s take a step back and remind ourselves what the keto diet is all about – this will help us understand what we can and can’t put in our daily brew.
The keto diet – or ketogenic diet to give it its full name – is a low-carb, high-fat diet. In some ways, it is similar to the Atkins diet or other comparable low-carb regimes.
The idea behind it is that by reducing the number of carbs you consume, your body enters a state of ketosis, a metabolic state that makes your body extremely efficient at burning fat and converting it to energy.
Keto diets also encourage the liver to turn fat into ketones which in turn are used to power your brain. This is a key part of the theory behind the Bulletproof diet, a mostly ketogenic diet, which means your body burns fat as its main fuel source.
Health Benefits of Keto Diet:
- Reduction of appetite
- Aids in weight loss
- Can reduce acne
- Reduced blood sugar and insulin levels
- Possible reduction in blood pressure
- May protect brain functioning
What Are The Advantages of The Keto Diet?
- Aids in weight loss. One of the most obvious benefits of switching to a keto diet is that it is said to be an extremely efficient way to lose weight. Although it might seem counterintuitive and against everything we thought we knew, weight-loss/keto studies say switching to a high-fat diet can actually help our bodies burn fat.
- Curbs/Reduces appetite. Studies consistently show that when people cut carbs and eat more protein and fat, they end up eating fewer calories.
- Can reduce blood sugar and insulin levels. Studies prove that cutting carbs lowers both blood sugar and insulin levels drastically.
- May help reduce the risk of diseases. The ketogenic diet has recently been investigated a great deal for how it may help prevent or even treat certain cancers, diabetes, epilepsy, Alzheimer’s, and more.
- Aids brain function. Claims are also made that the keto diet helps power your brain more efficiently, in effect actually making you smarter and more able to concentrate.
- Reduces acne. Based on the claim that many cases of acne are caused by excessive intake of carbohydrates, some studies support that the dietary restrictions of carbs in a ketogenic diet decrease the development of acne.
What To Eat and What to Avoid on the Ketogenic Diet
If you are considering switching to keto, there are some foods you should avoid and others you should favor.
Foods to Eat on Keto:
The type of food people following a keto diet can eat include meat, fatty fish, eggs, cheese, nuts, low carb vegetables, healthy oils, and avocados.As a basic beginner’s rule, stick to foods with fewer than 5% carbs.
- Fish & Seafood
- Natural fat, High-fat sauces (butter/ghee, coconut and olive oil, etc.)
- Vegetables grown above ground (cauliflower, cabbage, avocado, broccoli and zucchini, etc.)
- High-fat dairy (butter, high-fat cheese for cooking, heavy cream for cooking,
Foods to Avoid on Keto:
Avoid anything high in carbs, like sugars, grains, starches, fruit, beans, and alcohol. You should also avoid unhealthy fats.
- Pasta, cooked
- Rice, cooked
- Sode Juice
- Chocolate Bar
Of course, you will also want to have your coffee, and you can still have your daily brew while sticking to your keto diet. Let’s have a look at some suggestions for how to do it.
What kind of coffee drinks can I drink on the keto diet?
So onto why we’re really here. What coffee drinks can you and can’t you drink when you’re on a keto diet?
It’s true that many people forget that coffee drinks can be a huge source of carbs if you order the wrong one – you can undo all the hard work of sticking strictly to your diet with just one cup from your favorite coffee chain.
With this in mind, let’s now have a look at what is on the menu – and what’s off it.
This one is a big yes! There’s nothing in black coffee that you can’t have if you’re following keto. The caffeine content is fine – and brings many additional health benefits of its own when taken in moderation – but of course, you can stick to decaf if you prefer, it’s up to you.
If you are just drinking plain black coffee, you have plenty of options. On the keto diet, you can brew your coffee using whatever brewing method you prefer,
- French press
Of course, the problem is when you start adding stuff to your black coffee, so let’s move onto that.
Keto Coffee Syrups
If you want to be more creative with your coffee, teas, and other drinks to come up with some concoctions to rival your favorite coffee shop versions, there are plenty of options too.
Lots of versions of flavorings like chocolate or caramel are available that are designed with the keto diet in mind. A good example is the products from Skinny Mixes, a company that specializes in producing a whole range of zero-guilt syrups, flavorings topping and creams.
Skinny Mixes have a huge range of 40 different flavors to help you get creative with your morning coffee – for example, who needs a Starbucks caramel macchiato when you can make a Sugar-free Low-carb Skinny Iced Caramel Breve at home?
Or how about Sugar-free Low-carb Skinny Cookie Dough Latte anyone?
Can I Add Any Sugar To My Coffee on Keto?
No, of course not. If you are following a keto diet, you can’t sweeten your coffee with sugar. This is where it all falls apart. If you’re addicted to those caramel macchiatos or vanilla lattes, the regular versions you buy from the coffee shop are packed full of sugar, so they’re best avoided. What’s the solution? Finding a keto-friendly coffee sweetener such as a low-carb, sugar-free coffee syrup.
Keto-Friendly Coffee Sweeteners
Just because you can’t add sugar to your morning coffee on the keto diet, doesn’t mean your coffee has to be bitter. Many sweeteners are keto-friendly, but a liquid stevia mix, such as Naturally Zero, is a good choice. Some all-natural sweetener flavors you can find are:
Unlike a sugar-filled Starbucks coffee, using a keto-friendly sweetener such as Naturally Zero, has 0 calories, 0 sugar, and 0 carbs, so you can enjoy your favorite beverages and foods without the guilt. So how are sugar-free sweeteners so sweet? These are naturally sweetened with Stevia, Monk Fruit & Erythritol.
Keto-friendly Coffee Syrups
In the same nature of natural sweeteners being acceptable on the keto diet, there are hundreds of keto-friendly coffee recipes you whip up in the morning using keto-friendly coffee syrups, syrups that are low-carb and sugar-free! It seems too good to be true right? Well, it’s not. Simply add 1 tsp or 1 tbsp to your coffee in the morning and you can have a guilt-free indulgence while staying in ketosis! For example, the keto-friendly salted caramel coffee syrup pictured above has 0 calories, 0 sugar, and 0 carbs. Scroll down to the bottom of this page for more keto coffee recipes.
Can I have Milk or Creamer on the Keto Diet?
If you want to add some creaminess to your coffee, your keto diet welcomes a big dollop of heavy cream, so go ahead, no need to feel guilty! Remember, the keto diet is focused on natural, natural fat, high-fat foods that keep you full for longer. Another option – one that is considered essential to the Bulletproof diet – is grass-fed butter or ghee. It might seem a bit strange adding butter to your coffee at first, but as it turns out, it’s actually quite delicious. Just make sure it’s not salted butter – that’s less delicious and just a bit weird. Scroll down for one of our favorite bulletproof coffee recipes sweetened with Skinny Mixes low-carb coffee syrups.
Understanding Keto-Friendly Coffee
Understand keto, know what to avoid – and then set your imagination free! As you can see, if you understand what the keto diet is, how it works and what you can and can’t eat, there’s no reason why you need to deprive yourself of any pleasures. There are so many great products available to liven up your coffee – so get out there and be creative! Check out some of our guilt-free, keto-friendly coffee syrups to sweeten your morning coffee and kick off your day to a great start! All of Jordan’s Skinny Mixes sugar-free coffee syrups are keto-friendly. Some of our most popular flavors are:
- Sugar-free Salted Caramel Syrup
- Sugar-free Cookie Dough Syrup
- Sugar-free Mocha Syrup
- Sugar-free Mint Chocolate Chip Syrup
- Sugar-free Vanilla Syrup
- Sugar-free Caramel Creme Cheesecake Syrup
- Check out all of Jordan’s Skinny Syrups here
Here are a few of our favorite keto coffee recipes:
Iced Keto Bulletproof Coffee Recipe
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tsp Bulletproof XCT Oil
- 1 Tsp Trader Joe’s Cocoa Powder
- 1 Pump (1/2 tbsp) Hazelnut Skinny Syrup
- 1 Pump (1/2 tbsp) Caramel Skinny Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Cup Brewed Coffee
- 1 Cup Ice
Blend the following in a NutriBullet (or blender) & enjoy!
Keto-friendly Iced Caramel Coffee Recipe
- I-2 cups of ice
- 2 tbsp. Sugar freeCaramel Skinny Syrup
- Chilled coffee (or cold brew)
- Heavy cream
InstructionsSimply add 1 cup chilled coffee, 2 tbsp. of Salted Caramel Skinny Syrup and milk or cream to taste to a glass full of ice. Stir and top with a drizzle of caramel sauce (sugar-free). Enjoy!
Keto-friendly Caramel Macchiato Recipe
- 2 tbsp. Sugar Free Caramel Skinny Syrup
- 2 Shots Espresso
- Heavy cream
InstructionsCombine 2 tbsp. Caramel Skinny Syrup, 2 shots espresso, heavy cream (pour until it clouds or until the coffee is the color of your preference). Cap and shake vigorously. Pour into your serving glass and get ready to start your day!
Keto-friendly Vanilla Almond Latte
- 1 cup of cold brew coffee
- 1 tbsp Sugar Free Vanilla Almond Skinny Syrup
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk (or heavy cream if you prefer)
DirectionsIn a large glass filled with ice combine all ingredients, stir and enjoy!
Check out more of our Skinny Mixes coffee recipes here!